Friday, August 8, 2014

Chest and triceps routine... and tunes


Jesus. Imagine looking like that lad. Sweet cheeks.
I'm not a gym pro or anything, and I don't look anything like Glutimus Maximus up there, so most of what I say here should be taken with a pinch of salt. 3-4 times a week but I'm regular and still wear medium shirts so if you're thinking you'll end up looking like Lou Ferigno by reading this, you've come to the wrong blog. I just enjoy gyming. So should everyone. It's gas craic!

I only had ~1hr to blast through as much as I could so mid way through some dumbbell presses I got a bit overzealous and dropped a dumbbell on my chest. Ouch.

My routine was: 
Bench - 60kg (5),70kg (4), 80kg (3)...
Parallel pull-ups - 8x3 (BW)
Superset Dips - 8x3 (BW)
Skullcrushers - 20kg 8x3
Flat dumbbell press - 25kgs 8x3
Bent over row - 30kgs 6x3
Chest fly - 55kg (8), 60kg (8), 65kg (8)

I think this is a pretty decent routine to go by and definitely targets all those lovely upper body muscle groups that everyone loves to hit in order to look like Cinnamon Buns up there...

Pull/Push movements
A lot of people are of the belief that routines should consist mainly of one motion or the other, which is find and everyone's got a different take on everything.
Personally I think combining Push and Pull movements within a routine is always a good idea and makes for a more balanced workout, but that's just me! For example the supersets of pull-ups and dips are opposite motions but while the dip is tricep centric, the pull-up is still using supporting muscles making it a more complete routine. Same goes for the flat press into the bent over row.

I've done the same routine with varied reps and weights (lower weights/higher reps) on the advice of an especially well-versed gym friend and definitely feel the benefit in the form of DOMS.

But who really cares, just go into the gym and blast some Math-rock (Protest The Hero maybe...) and lift in 7/4 timing. I need to start listening to my own music when working out, the Summer Classix mix CD in Ben Dunne gyms is starting to wane a li'l. Possibly coz there's never any Li'l Wayne.

No comments:

Post a Comment